Volunteer Role Description
Overview: The Stewardship Network is seeking an organized, friendly, and dependable volunteer to act as the Coordinator of our celebrated Gloves for Good program. With the support of TSN’s staff, this individual will take the lead on communicating with glove recipients, preparing orders, coordinating pick-ups/delivery, and tracking our inventory. This is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys (or hopes to gain some experience with) project management and logistics, and who would enjoy contributing to a program that has very tangible positive impacts. The program has quickly become beloved by our community and we frequently receive warm feedback from the wide variety of environmental organizations who engage with us through this initiative.
Compensation: This is a volunteer role and is not compensated. If our Coordinator incurs any personal expenses or mileage as a direct result of volunteer role activities, TSN will reimburse them (with documentation).
About the Work
Program management: Gloves for Good is a truly collaborative effort at TSN, and you will work closely with our core staff, who are committed to making sure this is a positive experience!
Time commitment: The time requirement for Gloves for Good can vary from week to week or month to month based on the volume of orders. You should expect to commit 1-2 hours per week to maintenance tasks and small numbers of orders, with a periodic need for 3-4 hours per week during surges of interest.
Schedule and work location: We will work with you to find a schedule that works, but the ideal volunteer would have some time available during weekday office hours (~9am-5pm). Some tasks can be completed remotely, while other activities will need to take place in person at TSN’s office in Ann Arbor, MI.
Is this the role for you?
- Respond to glove requests and other inquiries received in the Gloves for Good email account
- Communicate with glove requestors to get the gloves to them, including providing cost of shipping estimates and coordinating invoices so the recipients can pay for postage
- Prepare glove orders – count, sort, and pack gloves in boxes according to the request; prepare shipping labels using USPS.com; coordinate drop-off at the post office or for USPS pick up at TSN’s office
- With TSN staff, coordinate pick-up times for local orders
- Work with TSN staff to maintain an accurate glove inventory and advise on timing of program promotion
- Communicate with TSN staff and other program supporters in support of the logistics of obtaining gloves, getting them cleaned and sorted, and delivered to TSN
- Report to/communicate with TSN staff on any other program needs or troubleshooting
- Friendly communication style, with a talent for sending clear and easy-to-read messages
- Ability to follow through on the program tasks, and to communicate when help is needed
- Ability to keep track of details and follow a process
- Ability to use email and Excel/Google Sheets
- Availability to commit about 1-4 hours per week to Gloves for Good based on program needs
- Ability to lift up to ~20 lbs, and comfortably carry or use a dolly to move packed boxes of gloves within TSN’s office space or to their car/the post office
- Preferred that the candidate has access to a computer they can use for email and creating shipping labels
Thank you for your interest!
If you would like engage with TSN about this opportunity, please send us an email with a little about you and why you’d like to take on this role at firstname.lastname@example.org. When you do, please include “Gloves for Good Volunteer” in the subject line.
NOTE: The Stewardship Network (TSN) is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employees, interns, contractors, and volunteers with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Personnel decisions at TSN are based on the mission-impact needs, role requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, family or parental status, or any other status.