To promote the mission of the Grand Traverse Conservation District (GTCD) by supporting the activities of the Education Team, including developing and delivering environmental education preschool programs and representing the organization at the Boardman River Nature Center and throughout the community.
Reports to: Education Director/Education Assistant
Primary relationships: Education Team and students
The preschool program assistant will:
• Assist the lead teacher in imparting classroom instruction
• Maintain a safe and organized classroom environment for children
• Assist the lead teacher in ensuring the physical, social, cognitive and educational excellence of children
• Ensure that the classroom is aesthetically attractive so that students enjoy their surroundings while learning lessons
• Provide support to the lead teacher in planning lessons and daily activities based on the principles of child development
• Ensure development of positive relationships with children with a view to promote self-esteem and self-discipline
• Provide comfort to distressed children through compassion and tact
• Oversee children to make sure that they are safe during outdoor activities
• Able to work efficiently outdoors in varying conditions and terrain.
• Lifts and handles materials of up to 35 pounds without assistance.
• Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, in the English language.
• Working knowledge of natural history, child development, classroom management or environmental stewardship preferred.
• Must be able to work every Thursday morning from 8:00am-1:00pm.