CONSERVATION WORKER II
Conservation Worker II needed for employment with the City of Ann Arbor, MI, Natural Area Preservation (NAP).
Work with Natural Area Preservation Conservation Crew to:
• Manually remove invasive plant species from natural areas
• Apply herbicide for the control of invasive plant species
• Assist with prescribed ecological burns (spring and fall)
• Maintain and construct trails
• Lead volunteer workdays and other environmental stewardship activities
• Collect, process, store and sow seed from native plants
• Keep detailed, accurate records of all work performed
• Assist in implementing stewardship plans and collecting ecological data from natural areas
• Excellent interpersonal skills suitable for working with crew, volunteers, and public
• Background in natural resource management or equivalent field
• Ability to distinguish between native and non-native flora
• Ability to perform strenuous manual labor outdoors in all weather conditions, lift and carry moderately heavy items, and sit and stand for long periods of time
• Ability to work with and maintain chain saws, brush blades, and other power tools
• Ability to work with minimal direct field supervision
• Willingness to work flexible schedule, including evening, weekends, and some holidays
• Valid Driver's License, CPR certification, First Aid certification, and medical card
• Willingness and ability to obtain Michigan Commercial Pesticide Applicator Certificate
• The City of Ann Arbor is a drug-free workplace. You may be required to submit to a drug screen during the hiring process.
SALARY: $11.72/hour; 40 hours/week; including regular evenings, weekends, and holidays. This position is considered a temporary - benefits eligible position.
DATES OF EMPLOYMENT: Successful candidates can expect this position to go through mid-December, with the possibility of it being extended up to 10 months from date of hire. Candidates may be considered for rehire after a 2 month break in employment, but rehire is not guaranteed.
We are proud of our diverse workforce and our commitment to equal opportunity. We do not discriminate on the basis of a person's actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, condition of pregnancy, marital status, physical or mental limitation, height, weight, source of income, family responsibility, educational association, sexual orientation, gender identity or HIV status in any aspect of our hiring or employment process.